Saturday, January 13, 2007

Chug and hum

When it comes time to pack for a trip, often I must still unpack and do laundry (gasp!) from the last excursion I was on. A half-full suitcase is a common presence on my bedroom floor. The night before departure I can be found rushing about from room to room with my beloved mutt a permanent fixture at my heels as a reminder that she does not want to be forgotten. The multi-colored mounds of clothing on my floor disappear and my bags empty as the washer and dryer chug and hum away. I hunt down cords, chargers, and accessories, and assemble toiletries, jewelry, and make-up. I ensure that my mock-suede brown boots and the thick white cable knit sweater are found and ready to go. I sort through the haphazard stack of papers on my desk to ensure there are no bills to pay and call friends that may not know I'll be away.

This scene unfolded again this morning and at the designated time when Dad finished seeing patients, 3:30 pm, I was just finishing scooping dog kibble into a ziplock bag and collecting food bowls and leashes (yes the dog came partway!). I took a later shift behind the ribbed steering wheel of our worn four-wheel-drive Jeep during our northward drive into the white-capped mountains. The greater remainder of my journey was spent on my sleek new silver MacBook enthusiastically typing away, brainstorming ideas for this baby blog. I did a little happy dance when we arrived to see the cheery fire in the rustic Taos hotel lobby and the included high-speed internet.

Although I only plan to update every 2-4 days or so in the future, I am still chomping at the bit and too impatient to wait that long at the moment. Today was a productive and creative jaunt and I look forward to much more of the same with this new journalistic adventure!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks AnnMarie!! I am going to attempt some creative writing, but it's been a while, so bear with me. As you can see, I've changed the picture since you posted, I just love this one. :)

Nichole said...

haha! I can vividly see in my head you running around getting ready for a trip. Kinda made me giggle a bit. AnnMarie is right, you have a wonderful way with words.

Michelle said...

woohoo, that's great that you can 'see' it, Nichole! I have to laugh at myself too. :) Thank you!