Monday, January 29, 2007

Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

Later that day, still Sat 1/20/07, we finally made it back to Las Cruces. As soon as I parked the car in my parents' driveway I realized that I'd forgotten my purse at the Quizno's in El Paso where we'd had lunch! Ugh. So we had to drive almost an hour EAST again, but luckily my sister convinced us to go to Mexico in the meantime since the border crossing is right there!

We took this Border Jumper trolley so we didn't have to worry about driving or parking or directions, and got out at an indoor market for an hour.
Chile peppers!Me wearing a sombrero! Just before we took this picture the store owner (who had offered the free pictures) said "$5 per picture" but we just pretended we didn't hear him. :)I bought a silver shoe necklace for $8 from this vendor.Us outside the market waiting for the trolley to pick us up.
There's a baby on her back in that sling.
A food vendor in the middle of traffic.Two street musicians.Buying a snack on the US-Mexico bridge.El Paso, TX from the bridge
We stopped at a hotel in El Paso with a beautiful stained glass dome before heading to the car.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

double *sigh* Still homesick! lol. Really though, I LOVE reading about El Paso/Las Crusas/ Juarez from someone else's perspective!!!Juarez is always an interesting place to take visitors. I love the picture of you all decked out in the sombrero and wrap. We use to go the dome for drinks from time to time when I would be home. Pretty place.

Michelle said...

Definitely not the same, AnnMarie! But you're right, Nichole, good place to take visitors. It's such a small world that we're from the same place, pretty much!

Anonymous said...

well, let me tell you something,im sure that all your really cool pics, can`t catch the real Mexican place essence, that is not the real Mexico, is just a tourist place, the real Mexico is even better than you can imagine, i will send you some pictures, not better than yours, but they will explain what im trying to explain.

PD: I am from Juarez, Mexico,

Michelle said...

Hi Luis! You are my first non-friend/non-invited commenting visitor! I FULLY agree with you that the border towns are not the 'real' Mexico. It's unfortunate that we only had a few hours, we would have loved to do more, and we had considered driving further in and spending a couple of days in Mexico when we were planning. But honestly, as two young women we did not feel safe doing that. I have visited other parts of the country and have driven with my family a few days in, so quite deep, and I got a real feel for what it was like. VERY different. But as long as one is aware of the difference it is still a worthwhile trip to make, I feel. I would love to see your pictures, would it be ok if I posted them here as well?