Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Quicken and quiver

Failing a test makes you feel stupid. Failing the same test three times causes intense self doubt and a deep inner questioning of one's abilities. You start to wonder if you even deserve to be taking said test. I have taken, and failed, the National Veterinary Boards three times, and am waiting on the results of a fourth. I have been close to passing each time, but that's simply unacceptable to the examiners, and a hundredfold so to myself.

Every time I walk out our front door to check the mail now my steps quicken and my insides quiver. Some days I go as soon as I think the mailman will have arrived, some days I pretend to myself that I have forgotten and let someone else get it. In the past I called to get my results over the phone because it was faster, but recently I have been unable to pick up the telephone and dial the number. I even go so far as to avoid people that know I am due to receive my results so as not to have to answer their (well-meaning) questions.

I desperately hope that once I do finally pass The Test, my confidence will not have permanently suffered from this agonizing experience. Already I find myself questioning my knowledge and abilities more frequently, despite that working as a veterinary technician in the intervening months has improved my skills, and then quitting to study full time increased the volume of material stored in my brain. I timidly look forward to truly proving that to myself one day soon!

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Best of luck to you and the boards! If I know anything about board exams, they really suck the life out of you. So, so difficult to prepare for and even more difficult to take!

And I just HAD to tell you... that your Kerouac quote is one of my favorites. Are you a fan? He's one of my favorite authors... from On the Road, to the Dharma Bums, to the Subterraneans, I could go on... he's definitely the first author I look for when I wander into any used book store, wherever it may be...

Michelle said...

Thank you Sarah! I'm so happy to see you still reading! :) Yes the boards certainly do suck the life out of you, and I'm sure you have some idea, being in med school. I just want to pass and be done with it!

As for the Kerouac quote, it is actually one of the only things I've seen of his, but I instantly fell in love with it. I will have to look for more of his work!

Nichole said...

I love that picture and I am keeping toes and fingers crossed that you results come back with happy news.

Michelle said...

ugh me too!!

Michelle said...

Thank you AnnMarie! Hopefully this is it!

Sandra said...

I just added you to my favorites list! You know how many people apply to vet school 2, 3, 4 times and then still become vets? It doesn't matter how many times you try, it's the end that counts, and your experiences working now will make you a more confident vet then I was when I started. Fingers crossed for ya!

Michelle said...

Thank you Sandra, that really means a lot coming from you! :)